Thursday 25 April 2013

Throwing Away

I've started throwing today - a large batch of small globes for use Raku Firing during the Upwey Potters show which starts in a month's time and also for the Dorset Art Fair at Kingston Maurward. I really enjoyed getting back on the wheel after what seems like months spent hand-building the ancient pottery replicas. It brought home to me how productivity can be increased by using equipment and skills learnt over a long period of time, rather than working without tools and not a sufficiently long period of practice!

Having said that, I am very pleased with the urns I've been making by hand for the Hengistbury Head Visitor Centre.
This one shows off the decoration applied by pushing a piece of rope into the damp clay.
I have come to the conclusion that I will use the Wood fired kiln to fire some of these - just taking them gently up to 900C, to turn them ceramic and perhaps get some effect of the wood burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment