Monday 13 October 2014

Broken Promises

I have recently got into the "mail order" business, sending replica pots via Parcel Force to far flung places. However as most of them arrived broken, I am ceasing that sort of activity, which I always knew was a silly idea! Shame because there is a demand for ancient replicas thanks to the change in the school curriculum. I will still do commissions for larger quantities that I can deliver myself, or can be collected by the client - from my studio or an event.

I have started loading the wood fired kiln again, with pots made during my recent open studio event.
I hope I can avoid the rain showers and get finished by Friday evening, when we aim to start firing.

The beakers shown have been biscuit fired and glazed with my standard Cornish Stone and Iron Oxide brown glaze, they filled the bottom layer.
 
Then came the bowls inspired by the local iron age pottery, these have been raw glazed with "Gunmetal" glaze, that will hopefully mimic the Black Burnished Ware appearance of the originals.

A batch of jugs almost filled the back section, with some space at the top for a few larger urns made at Corfe Castle in July. 

The front section will be loaded with pots made by Laurence Eastwood, my class students and some friendly potters.

I've been getting ready for the Dorset Pottery Group's annual exhibition at Bridport Arts Centre, which I also help to manage. We are featuring pieces by "famous" potters - on loan from members that have inspired them. I wonder how that will go down?!


No comments:

Post a Comment